Thursday, November 6, 2008

Intro

Hi everyone!,

My name is Matt Eagles and I am currently the captain for the Moncton Wildcats of the QMJHL. For the remainder of the season I will be posting on this blog every couple weeks to give you the fans an idea of what it is like to play major junior hockey here in Moncton. For my first post I will give you a brief background of my life and hockey career.

I was born in Quebec City on January 18th 1988. My dad was a professional hockey player playing for the Nordiques at the time while my mom was a elementary school teacher who had just put her career on hold to be with Dad while he was playing. My childhood was incredible! I was fortunate enough to spend the first 12 years of my life around NHL rinks and players! By the time my dad retired he had played in 4 NHL cities: Quebec, Chicago, Winnipeg and Washington. I was lucky enough to meet future hall of famers such as Teemu Selanne, Adam Oates, Phil Housley and Brian Bellows. Needless to say it would be hard to ask for a better childhood for a hockey player.

When my dad retired our family moved to Fredericton New Brunswick where they still remain. I played PeeWee AAA to Midget AAA with the Fredericton Canadiens. When i was 16 I left home and played a year at St. Paul's School, which is a prep school in New Hampshire. Upon deciding not to return to prep for my senior year I was drafted by the Moncton Wildcats where I have been lucky to play for the last 3 years this being my fourth. From winning the league my first year to missing the playoffs last season I have experienced the cycle of junior hockey during my time here in Moncton. With the start we have had it is tremendously encouraging to think that our team might make some noise in this my final season. I hope you enjoy reading my blog over the remainder of the year as I look forward to sharing with you.

8 comments:

Lise said...

hey, I think this is a great idea, specially for us who don't know much about all that hockey involves. It's personal yet fun. I like it! And I think it's so cool that you got to experience that whole cycle of both being at the top and struggling during the rebuilding phase. Great life lesson for all of us.thanks for sharing :-)

Peez said...

is it true the team captain is picked according to the size of your lats?

Unknown said...

Hey Matt, nice work, I guess we are competitors for readers now! By the way, you are unofficially leading my "best beard in the league" statistic, hope you haven't shaved it.

Nathan White

Unknown said...

Oh, just got the second release with the 'stache pic, that's pretty solid too though. You have lots of season left to re-grow the beard.

stormin said...

Ilike what you doing & keep up the good work

Hot Doggy said...

Hi Captain, tell us your feelings with what all the rookies have brought to this exciting team and is this wildcats team for real!

stormin said...

Another win.Man i like the team work ethic.Keep up the good work & focus on the next one.i

Rocket said...

Great Leadership Matt, you are a great leader and you can tell you make a real inpact on the rookies as well as the rest of the team. Your fans love you!!! My son is 3 1/2 sees you at the 4 plex sometimes (little guy with the full gear and wildcats jersey) one day you waved to him, he talks about that ALL the time!! LOL you make a big inpact on your fans Big and Small!! Keep up the good work and LETS SEE THE MEMORIAL CUP COME TO MONCTON!!!

~GO CATS GO~